Sossoman Funeral Home, begun 61 years ago as a small enterprise to provide helpful services for families in grief, remains today a family operation still committed to a high standard of professional, compassionate care.
Established February 28, 1949, Sossoman's was originally located on College Street in downtown Morganton, near the old Grace Hospital (now CoMMA).
J.C. and Smaro Sossoman (originally from Cabarrus County) moved to Morganton from Winston-Salem, founding Sossoman Funeral Home. Their son, Calvin, was born March 1949 just after the Funeral Home was established. Today, the firm is owned and operated by Calvin Sossoman, Mary Lou Sossoman, Rick Hood, and Jimmy Kirksey.
In 1966, Sossoman's moved from the large two-story home on College Street (where the Morganton Department of Public Safety is now located) to its present location on South Sterling Street, near the entrance to Broughton Hospital. Over the years the funeral home facility has been remodeled and upgraded, including a complete exterior facelift in 1986. Recently the interior was completely refurbished, and an additional 5,000 square feet of space added.
Sossoman's has long drawn attention for its collection of paintings and small antiques in its lobby areas. Outside, Sossoman's commands a sweeping view of Blue Ridge foothills and is noted for the elegantly manicured grounds, reflecting the firm's attention to the familes they serve.
The staff at Sossoman's Funeral Home values the loyalty that area familes have, in turn, shown to the firm, and is continually striving to find additional ways to better meet the needs and wishes of the familes they serve.
Sossoman Funeral Home & Crematory Center, Inc. - (828)437-3211